Important notice: Funding for 2012 IRG is already expended.
The purpose of this grant program is to encourage interdisciplinary research activities and to invest in projects that have a high potential of receiving external competitive funding.
All faculty and staff of research centers, colleges, and institutes are eligible to apply. Faculty and staff can submit only one IRG proposal as a PI, but can be listed as a Co-PI on an unlimited number of submissions.
Interdisciplinary research involving faculty members from two (2) or more departments. Proposed budget should be in the $25,000 to $40,000 range. Funding will be provided for one year (12 consecutive months). NEW: Researchers can also submit for supplemental funding up to $20,000 to pursue simultaneous commercialization of the proposed research/discovery.
Deadlines and Start Dates
Deadline for submission is May 31, 2012. Start date for funding can be either Fall 2012 or Spring 2013.
- Cover/Title Page (1 page) should include the project title; names of PI and Co-PIs, along with department and college affiliations; and credit percentage or percentage level of involvement of the PI and Co-PIs in project
- Proposal Narrative (limited to 5 single-spaced pages; (references are not part of the page limit) should include goals and objectives, research method, potential impact, intellectual merit, and roles and responsibilities of the PI, Co-PIs, and students
- Budget (1 page)
- Biographical Sketch (2 pages) for each participant
- Font Size:12 pt, Times New Roman
- Margins:1 inch
- Proposal Packet should include
- Supplemental Funding: Include a maximum of one page describing the commercialization potential if requesting supplemental funding. Commercialization potential can be illustrated in numerous ways, including, but not limited to, current limitations of existing technology, market characteristics and size, customer interest, potential for product creation, and collaboration/partnership opportunities.
Proposals will be evaluated according to the following criteria:
- Technical merit of the proposed research
- Potential impact of the proposed research on the University's research programs and national visibility
- Potential for future funding and sustainability
- Student involvement
- Qualifications of the PI and Co-PIs
- Potential for commercialization if requesting supplemental funding
Send complete application packet by email to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please call Sudha Murthy at 646-9209 if you have any questions.
Announcement of Awards
July 6, 2012
The recipients of funding must submit a 6-month and 12-month report to the Vice President for Research. Also, a 6-month and 12-month financial report will be required. In addition, the recipients will be required to present progress after 6 months and results at the end of the grant period.